Tuesday, November 23, 2010

introduction [not the word]


Taking a break from too much scepticism, I've hit upon this bright idea of writing about words, though not just any words, words that I can get my teeth into and use to learn about the world, to plug one or two of the billions of holes in my knowledge. Many of the words will be science-words, and will help me open up the world of physics and biology and so on just a little bit more for myself. Some might be philosophical, or esoteric, or controversial, and some may be worth writing whole books upon, but I won't be doing that.

I suppose the main point is that this will not be a blog primarily dealing with linguistics, etymology or philology [a sadly out-of-date term these days]. It's not the words that interest me so much as the things or processes they describe. It's my way of burrowing into these things and processes, in some small degree.

Since I don't have a readership, mea culpa, I'll dedicate this blog to the future, in the form of an eight-year-old girl named Courtney. And if anybody else stumbles upon this blog and derives any pleasure or stimulation from it, well and good, and please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment